Fire Station #8 opened June 28, 1970. It has 2 full bays, 1/2 bay, and contains 7,092 square feet.
Station #8 was the first in Dallas with a rear-drive-through apparatus room, fold-down beds, and a hose drying room. These "firsts" have continued in that Station #8 frequently is among the first to get or test new equipment, as with the Task Force Tip nozzles, Akron Turbo jet nozzles, a hose sled, large diameter hose engines and recently Akron Piercing Nozzles.. Station #8 has a rich history and has answered some of the largest fires in the city. The members have lined the hallways with pictures from fires both past and present.\
When Station #8 opened in 1970, it housed Engine 8, Engine 29 and Battalion 3. Engine 29 was later moved to 57 Station and Squad 8 (manpower squad) was moved from Station 3 and used until manpower squads were deactivated. Peak demand Rescue 8 was added in later years. Rescue 8 was converted to a full time Rescue in January of 2008.
Built in the early 1900's, the original Station #8 was a two-story structure which included horse stalls. The station gradually developed structural problems from a creek bed beneath the station. In 1944, for $26,840, the original station was torn down and its bricks used to build a new single-story, two-bay station on the same spot. Firefighters rumored that the second Station #8 was haunted by the ghost of Battalion Chief Frank J. Bachman who was killed in an accident between a Chief's car and an engine on December 11, 1945.
On May 15, 1970 at 8:00 a.m., the third and present Station #8 opened. Chief C. N. Penn advised the firefighters assigned to Station #8 that "immediately after the change, old #8 station will be locked and the keys given to the new owner." Firefighters were instructed to clear personal belongings and bed linens prior to departure. Desks, chairs, and other furniture and equipment were moved to the new station on a fire engine and in a Maintenance Division pick-up.