The most recent change at Station 11 was the addition of Peak Demand Rescue 73. Due to space constraints at the station, one Rescue runs out of the side door onto Reagan Street.
When Station #11 opened in 1909 at Cedar Springs Road and Reagan Street, its ornate gray brick facade became a focal point for the community, drawing both young and old for a cup of coffee, chats with firefighters and looks at firefighting apparatus. The station has been designated as a historical landmark and as such the Fire Department completely remodeled this station in 1985, at a cost of $600,000. During the remodeling an additional 1,000 square feet was added brining the total area to 10,561 square feet.
Considered the first "suburban" fire station in Dallas, #11 was designed by architects Hubbell and Green. They designed other notable Dallas buildings: First Church of Christ Scientist and the Scottish Rite Temple. Reflecting American Prairie style architectural influence, Station #11 was built as a sister station to Station #5 or "Old Tige," built at the turn of the century across from the Fair Park and now housing the Dallas Firefighters Museum. These two stations are the last of their kind in Dallas.
Originally known as No. 4 Hook and Ladder, referring to companies who carried ladders and ceiling hooks (pike poles), Station #11 housed a Silsby steam engine (with iron wheels and carrying copper-riveted leather hose), a ladder company, some horses and a fire dog. Several features built in Station #11 not in today's stations include a hose well drying rack that hoists the hose up for drying after use, and apparatus room doors that open from the side instead of bottom-to-top.
In the 1960's the station's community, known as Oak Lawn, entered a transition period bringing in "strips" of bright lights and bars into a largely residential neighborhood. Many fine old homes were torn down and replaced by businesses and apartments. Population growth likewise increased traffic and fire activity.