Fire Stations

Quick Facts:


1660 South Corinth Street Road
Dallas, TX


Built: 1991
Council District: No. 4
Equipment Assignments
Engine 23
Rescue 23

Station No. 23

This station #23 was built in 1991 at a cost of $1,300,000 and contains 10,000 square feet.

The original station #23, located at 1735 South Ewing Avenue, was built in 1924 at a cost of $25,000, to serve East Oak Cliff, consisting mostly of residential and light commercial structures.

A single company house, #23 originally was built smaller than its present size of 7,934 square feet. An addition was constructed in 1968.

The architecture of Station #23 is unique. The lower floor is a "split-level" arrangement with the kitchen a few steps above the living area and the apparatus room. The sleeping area is on the second floor with a brass pole to the apparatus room.

In the watch books at #23s which date back to its opening, records show firefighters worked 10 hour days or 14 hour nights for one month before receiving a shift off.

In the fall of 1987, a new Station #23 opened at 1660 South Corinth Street Road. This relocation will permit Engine 23 to better serve the citizens by reducing response time in the eastern portion of its first alarm district.

One of Station #23's most famous past "members"was a Dalmation named Maynard. Maynard, a large liver spotted Dalmatian, was the pride and joy of the firefighters at Station #23. Maynard was probably the most photographed member of the Fire Department, having appeared in newspaper and television stories posing in his "box" on Engine 23. Maynard even posed for a fire prevention poster developed by the Community Relations section for the Fire Prevention Education & Inspection Division. As a goodwill ambassador, Maynard kept children and adults in Station #23's neighborhood entertained. Sadly, Maynard passed away several years ago.

Through the years, Station #23 has answered hundreds of fires. One of the most spectacular occurred about 22 years ago at the Hillcrest Baptist Church on Idaho Street. Another memorable fire occurred November 6, 1982, when Engine 23 was dispatched to 1614 South Ewing Avenue. Upon their arrival, they found an "L" shaped strip shopping center with a common attic on fire. Assistant Chief P.M. Freeman and then Assistant Chief Bill Roberts received minor burns after a back draft pushed a ball of fire out the front of a business. This five alarm fire resulted in $75,000 loss.

We Need Your Help
Several fire stations are currently in need a several priority items. We would appreciate your donation.
Adopt A Station
The Adopt A Station project was recently launched to allow citizens to help with station projects.
Home | City of Dallas | Accessibility | Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact Us | Translate
All information contained in this site is the property of the City of Dallas. All external sites are opened in a new window to keep the integrity of those sites.
Their availability in no way constitutes an endorsement by the Dallas Fire Department, or the City of Dallas; they are provided for your convenience only.