Fire Station #27 is now serving as a temporary home for Engine 42. Station 42 was demolished recently and is now being rebuilt. Until the new station is completed, Station 27 is housing both Engines 27 and 42.
Fire Station #27 opened in 1948. It has 2 full bays and contains 4,564 square feet. Through the years, most development in the area has been residential-large homes, a few apartment complexes and more recently high-rise condominiums and office buildings.
In the mid-1940s, before Engine 27 ran out of a small garage on Preston Road. Firefighters assigned to that apparatus slept in a former flower shop 60 to 70 feet away. At that time, the only structure along Northwest Highway was a water tower; there were a few stores on the two lane Preston Road. What is today North Dallas, was then rural countryside.
When the present #27 first opened, it was not well received by neighbors. The firefighters worked hard for acceptance-even sending flowers to sick and bereaved families in their district. Before long, the firefighters were considered friends.