The New Fire Station#39 opened in June of 2003. It is just down the block from the old station. We will have some information on the new station up soon. The personnel from 39 station are the primary crew of Marine 1, stationed at Lake Ray Hubbard.
After the old Station 39 opened, Captain Tony Pinka, B shift, obtained permission from the Fire Department and the East Dallas Chamber of Commerce to solicit donations from area merchants to furnish the station with a television set. The log book listing the merchants and the amount of their donation is in the station library. Firefighters also planted trees around the station: some were furnished by the City, and others were brought back with the firefighters from a rabbit hunting trip at Cumby, Texas.
In May 1957, a month after a tornado hit Dallas, a straight wind of about 70 MPH lifted the roof off the station. Since the station did not have an underground fallout shelter, the Captain dove for the safest place he could think of-under the engine.