Fire station #4 opened its doors September, 1953. The current Station
#4 is one of the few remaining two-story, fire pole stations. It 3 full
bays and 1 1/2 bay containing 7,735 square feet. It was built to serve
the downtown business district and residential area immediately south
The first Station #4 built in 1894 was located at Commerce and Akard streets.
The downtown area prospered, land values increased, and that property
became the site of an office building. A second Station #4 was built at
1602 Young Street.